ATLANTA - Both FGCU's Osman Humeida and Liberty's Jacob Hess collected their first-ever ASUN Conference Men's Cross Country Weekly Awards, announced by the league office on Wednesday. Humeida set a new FGCU 8K program record at the North Alabama Showcase to claim the Runner of the Week accolade while Liberty's Hess was named the Freshman of the Week after his sixth-place performance at the Virginia Tech Alumni Invitational.
Men's Cross Country Runner of the Week
Osman Humeida, FGCU
Graduate Student | South Riding, Va.
- First Career Runner of the Week honor; seventh all-time award for FGCU
- Set a new FGCU program record with his 8K time of 24:01.60 at the North Alabama Showcase
- Placed 11th in the field of 360 runners while defeating all other ASUN competitors
- Helped his FGCU squad finish 17th in the pool of 37 teams
- Defeated runners from Alabama, Kentucky, Georgia Tech and Memphis in the race
Other Nominees: Connor Duncan, Austin Peay; Paul Stamm, Bellarmine; Keeton Thornsberry, Eastern Kentucky; Kody Everett, Jacksonville; Gavin Frick, Kennesaw State; Scott McKenzie, Lipscomb; Nicholas Kiprotich, Liberty; Evan Allen, North Alabama.
Men's Cross Country Freshman of the Week
Jacob Hess, Liberty
Freshman | West Milton, Pa.
- First Career Freshman of the Week award; second honor of the season for the Flames
- Placed sixth in the field of 120 runners in his collegiate debut at the Virginia Tech Alumni Invitational
- Clocked an 8K time of 25:05.8 as he was the first freshman to cross the line in the race
- Finished second on Liberty's squad just behind Nicholas Kiprotich who won the event
- Helped the Flames take home the team title at the race with 30 total points
Other Nominees: Lucas Bales, Austin Peay; Nolan White, Bellarmine; Jovan Figueroa, Jacksonville.
2022 Season Award Winners
Sept. 21 | Runner: Osman Humeida, FGCU; Freshman: Jacob Hess, Liberty
Sept. 14 | Runner: Evan Allen, North Alabama; Freshman: Cole Perry, North Florida
Sept. 7 | Runner: Evan Allen, North Alabama; Freshman: Will Jefferson, Liberty
ASUN Conference, Atlanta - the only DI conference headquartered in the ATL, our footprint's primary media, sports, business, transportation and cultural hub
The ASUN, a Division I conference member of the NCAA, boasts a membership of institutions that share visionary leadership, bold ambition and creative innovation. As a nimble adaptive conference, unafraid to blaze a national pathway for better service to our student-athletes, teams, and institutions, the ASUN has a proud history of firsts, national academic and athletic achievements and a conference culture that walks the walk with its four ASUN Beams. Students First! Rise. Connect. Impact. #ASUNBuilt by Austin Peay (Clarksville, Tenn.), Bellarmine (Louisville, Ky.), Central Arkansas (Conway, Ark.), Eastern Kentucky (Richmond, Ky.), FGCU (Fort Myers, Fla.), Jacksonville (Fla.), Jacksonville State (Jacksonville, Ala.), Kennesaw State (Ga.), Liberty (Lynchburg, Va.), Lipscomb (Nashville, Tenn.), North Alabama (Florence, Ala.), North Florida (Jacksonville, Fla.), Queens (Charlotte, N.C.) and Stetson (DeLand, Fla.).