ATLANTA - The 2022 ASUN Conference Volleyball season picks up with more action on Thursday (Kennesaw State vs. Furman) before a combined 38 matches take place between Friday and Saturday. Central Arkansas, FGCU, Jacksonville State, Stetson and North Alabama all look to remain undefeated in the second week of the season.
The non-conference portion of the schedule remains strong as several Power Five opponents are on this week's slate: Alabama (SEC; vs. Central Arkansas), Arkansas (SEC; vs. FGCU), Clemson (ACC; vs. Jacksonville State), Florida State (ACC; vs. Austin Peay); Kansas State (Big 12; vs. North Florida), Mississippi State (SEC; at Lipscomb), Oklahoma (Big 12; at Lipscomb), Oregon State (Pac-12; vs. Central Arkansas) and Syracuse (ACC; vs. North Florida).
Follow @ASUNVolleyball on Twitter for live updates throughout the season.
Match of the Week
Jacksonville State at Clemson | Sept. 2 | 6 PM CT
The Gamecocks enter the weekend as one of the league's five undefeated Volleyball squads. The team's trip to The Palmetto State sees JSU battle Clemson for the first time. The Tigers enter the matchup undefeated at 3-0 after defeating fellow ASUN member Austin Peay, Louisiana Tech and Presbyterian last weekend. Jacksonville State's 3-0 start to the season was highlighted by an opening-weekend victory on the road at Big 10 foe Indiana.
What to Watch For
- The second week of ASUN Volleyball action begins with five squads holding unblemished records: Central Arkansas (3-0), FGCU (3-0), Jacksonville State (3-0), Stetson (3-0) and North Alabama (2-0).
- North Alabama's Maggie Sullivan opens the month of September three blocks away from a career-milestone 200 while Alexis Thompson of Stetson needs one block to reach 100 in her career.
- After eclipsing the 2,000-dig mark in her career last weekend, FGCU's Dana Axner continues her climb to number one on the league's all-time dig list.
Austin Peay (1-2)
Previous Matches: L, 3-1 vs. Presbyterian | L, 3-1 at Clemson | W, 3-1 vs. Louisiana Tech
Upcoming Matches: vs. Florida A&M [Tallahassee, Fla.] (9/2; 5 PM CT) | at Florida State (9/3; 4 PM CT)
- The Govs opened their first season as members of the ASUN with a 3-1 victory against Louisiana Tech in a neutral-site matchup last Friday.
- Mikayla Powell (16), Marlayna Bullington (13) and Jaida Clark (10) each reached double-digit kills in the contest with the Bulldogs; Bullington added 14 digs for a double-double.
- Austin Peay remains on the road this week when the team heads to Tallahassee to battle Florida A&M and Florida State.
Previous Matches: W, 3-1 vs. Gardner-Webb | W, 3-1 at St. Francis (Pa.) | L, 3-1 vs. Bucknell
Upcoming Matches: vs. Marshall [Oxford, Ohio] (9/2; 11 AM) | vs. MTSU [Oxford, Ohio] (9/2; 7 PM) | at Miami (Ohio) (9/3; 1 PM)
- After a season-opening loss to Bucknell, the Knights bounced back to pick up 3-1 victories against St. Francis (Pa.) and Gardner-Webb in Loretto, Pa.
- The defeat of the Red Flash gave first-year Head Coach Rick Nold not only his initial victory leading Bellarmine but also the 300th of his career.
- Jayme Scott is currently leading the team with 3.25 kills per set while Anna Lococo's 4.58 digs per set are third-best in the conference.
Central Arkansas (3-0)
Previous Matches: W, 3-2 at Missouri State | W, 3-1 vs. Oral Roberts | W, 3-1 vs. Tennessee Tech
Upcoming Matches: at Houston (9/2; 11 AM CT) | vs. Oregon State [Houston, Texas] (9/3; 10 AM CT) | vs. Alabama [Houston, Texas] (9/3; 1:30 PM CT)
- UCA is off to a hot start this season after last weekend's trip to Springfield, Mo., resulted in a 3-0 record for the Bears.
- After dispatching Tennessee Tech and Oral Roberts, Central Arkansas earned a five-set victory against host Missouri State.
- Laci Bohannan claimed the program's first ASUN Freshman of the Week honor after setting a UCA program record for its rally-scoring era with 28 kills against ORU.
Eastern Kentucky (2-1)
Previous Matches: L, 3-1 vs. UT-Martin | W, 3-0 vs. Radford | W, 3-0 vs. IUPUI
Upcoming Matches: at Wofford (9/2; 1 PM) | vs. USC Upstate [Spartanburg, S.C.] (9/2; 4 PM) | vs. Appalachian State [Spartanburg, S.C.] (9/3; 11 AM)
- Head Coach Johnna Bazzani's squad had a great start to the season by posting back-to-back sweeps against IUPUI and Radford.
- The Colonels currently rank eighth in the ASUN for service aces (15) and are ninth with 150 team digs.
- EKU's first road trip of the season begins with the first-ever meeting against Wofford in Volleyball; the Colonels are 0-1 and 2-2, respectively, all-time against the Spartans and Mountaineers.
Previous Matches: W, 3-1 at Maryland | W, 3-1 vs. Rhode Island | W, 3-1 vs. Navy
Upcoming Matches: vs. Alabama State [Fort Collins, Colo.] (9/2; 1 PM) | at Colorado State (9/2; 9 PM) | vs. Arkansas [Fort Collins, Colo.] (9/3; 1 PM)
- The reigning ASUN Champion Eagles opened the 2022 season with an impressive 3-0 start on the road at the Maryland Invite.
- After defeating Navy and Rhode Island, FGCU rounded out the weekend by earning its eighth Power Five win after downing host Maryland in four sets.
- Player of the Week Erin Shomaker tied her career high with 27 kills against the Terps; Defensive Player of the Week Dana Axner went over 2,000 digs for her career last weekend.
Previous Matches: L, 3-0 vs. UNLV | L, 3-0 UTRGV | L, 3-0 at North Texas
Upcoming Matches: vs. Chattanooga (9/2; 10 AM) | vs. Georgia State (9/2; 7 PM) | vs. Presbyterian (9/3; 2 PM)
- The Dolphins enter this weekend still seeking their first win of the season after suffering three losses in Texas to open 2022.
- Haley Hart led Jacksonville in kills during each of the team's matches last weekend including 14 in the matchup against UNLV.
- JAX begins a six-match stretch of contests on its home floor when the squad welcomes Chattanooga and Georgia State to Swisher Gymnasium on Friday.
Jacksonville State (3-0)
Previous Matches: W, 3-0 at Indiana | W, 3-0 vs. Indiana State | W, 3-0 vs. Chicago State
Upcoming Matches: vs. Citadel [Clemson, S.C.] (9/2; 9:30 PM CT) | at Clemson (9/2; 6 PM CT) | vs. Gardner-Webb [Clemson, S.C.] (9/3; 10:30 AM CT)
- JSU's start to the season is arguably one of the best across the league as the Gamecocks didn't drop a set in their season-opening tournament in Bloomington, Ind.
- Lena Kindermann hit .429 to lead the team to a sweep of Indiana to close the weekend; this was the team's first Power Five victory since 2013 against Tennessee.
- The Gamecocks are back on the road this weekend at a tournament hosted by Clemson and face the Tigers on Friday in the ASUN Match of the Week.
Kennesaw State (2-1)
Previous Matches: L, 3-1 at Wake Forest | W, 3-0 vs. North Carolina Central | W, 3-1 vs. Western Carolina
Upcoming Matches: vs. Furman (9/1; 7 PM) | vs. High Point (9/2; 7 PM) | vs. Samford (9/6; 6:30 PM)
- KSU opened 2022 with back-to-back wins on the road in North Carolina including the program's first-ever victory against Western Carolina in the season opener.
- Jasmine Brown reached 200 blocks for her career after recording 15 over the first weekend of action for the Owls; KSU leads the ASUN with 28 total team blocks.
- The team's home opener is scheduled for Thursday against Furman; the Owls are 2-0 all-time against the Paladins.
Previous Matches: L, 3-1 vs. High Point | L, 3-1 at VCU | W, 3-0 vs. Elon
Upcoming Matches: vs. Winthrop (9/2; 6 PM) | vs. UNC Wilmington (9/3; 10 AM) | vs. Murray State (9/3; 3 PM)
- Trinity Watts led the team with 16 kills and added seven digs in the Flames' season-opening sweep of Elon; Lydia Burts added 10 kills.
- As a team, Liberty ranks third in the ASUN for kills (136), kills per set (13.27) and assists (132) while ranking fourth with 12.00 assists per set.
- Although their first three matches were played in Virginia, the Flames finally get to compete on their home floor when the squad hosts Winthrop on Friday.
Previous Matches: W, 3-1 at Belmont | W, 3-0 vs. Tennessee State | L, 3-0 vs. No. 14 Stanford
Upcoming Matches: vs. Mississippi State (9/2; 11 AM CT) | vs. Ball State (9/2; 7 PM CT) | vs. Oklahoma (9/3; 7 PM CT)
- After a season-opening setback to No. 14 Stanford, the Bisons only dropped one set in back-to-back victories against Tennessee State and Belmont.
- The team's first win came in a sweep of the Tigers where the Bisons hit .361 for the match; four players reached double-digit kills in the Battle of the Boulevard win.
- Lipscomb's upcoming three-match homestand is bookended by battles with SEC foe Mississippi State and Big 12 opponent Oklahoma.
North Alabama (2-0)
Previous Matches: W, 3-0 at UNC Asheville | W, 3-0 vs. Stonehill
Upcoming Matches: vs. Grambling (9/1; Noon CT) | vs. Lamar (9/2; 6 PM CT) | vs. New Orleans (9/3; 1:30 PM CT)
- The Lions opened the season with two sweeps on the road in Asheville, N.C.; UNA remained undefeated all-time against both Stonehill and UNC Asheville.
- North Alabama hit .470 as a team against the Skyhawks which set a new single-match Division I-era team record.
- UNA's .301 hitting percentage is currently second-best in the ASUN; Anna Katherine Griggs leads the conference as she is swinging .531 through two matches.
North Florida (1-2)
Previous Matches: W, 3-0 vs. ETSU | L, 3-0 vs. Virginia | L, 3-1 at No. 15 Florida
Upcoming Matches: vs. Kansas State [Orlando, Fla.] (9/1; 4:30 PM) | vs. Syracuse [Orlando, Fla.] (9/3; 2 PM)
- UNF earned one victory in a tough three-match opening weekend that saw the Ospreys battle Power Five opponents No. 15 Florida and Virginia.
- Mahalia White (15) and Kailey McKnight (12) both recorded double-digit kills in the sweep of ETSU; Rocio Moro tallied 15 digs against the Buccaneers.
- North Florida heads to Orlando for matches against Kansas State and Syracuse this weekend; the team is 0-1 all-time against the Wildcats and faces the Orange for the first time.
Previous Matches: W, 3-1 at UNC Asheville | W, 3-0 vs. Stonehill | L, 3-0 vs. Morehead State
Upcoming Matches: vs. Charleston Southern [Macon, Ga.] (9/2; 4:30 PM) | at Mercer (9/3; 11 AM) | vs. Southern Miss [Macon, Ga.] (9/3; 4 PM)
- The sweep of Stonehill last Saturday was not only the first ASUN win for Queens but also marked the first Division I victory for the school in any sport.
- Alleigh Johnson notched 11 kills in the defeat of the Skyhawks while four different Royals eclipsed the double-digit dig mark led by Jordyn Johnson's 13.
- Johnson followed up with 15 kills against UNC Asheville while Kendall Buish posted an impressive 21 digs in Queens first-ever meeting with the Bulldogs.
Previous Matches: W, 3-0 vs. Alcorn State | W, 3-0 vs. USC Upstate | W, 3-0 at Georgia Southern
Upcoming Matches: vs. Alcorn State [Boca Raton, Fla.] (9/2; 10 AM) | vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff [Boca Raton, Fla.] (9/2; 3:30 PM) | at FAU (9/3; Noon)
- Head Coach Yang Deng led her squad to a perfect 3-0 start to the season on the road in Statesboro where the Hatters swept their way to the Battle of the Boro tournament title.
- As a team, the Hatters lead the ASUN in both digs per set (17.22), solo blocks (13) and blocks per set (2.67) while also sitting second with 2.67 service aces per set.
- Stetson enters the weekend two wins away from setting a program record with its first 5-0 start; Alcorn State and Arkansas-Pine Bluff stand in the way of that milestone.
ASUN Conference, Atlanta – the only DI conference headquartered in the ATL, our footprint's primary media, sports, business, transportation and cultural hub
The ASUN, a Division I conference member of the NCAA, boasts a membership of institutions that share visionary leadership, bold ambition and creative innovation. As a nimble adaptive conference, unafraid to blaze a national pathway for better service to our student-athletes, teams, and institutions, the ASUN has a proud history of firsts, national academic and athletic achievements and a conference culture that walks the walk with its four ASUN Beams. Students First! Rise. Connect. Impact. #ASUNBuilt by Austin Peay (Clarksville, Tenn.), Bellarmine (Louisville, Ky.), Central Arkansas (Conway, Ark.), Eastern Kentucky (Richmond, Ky.), FGCU (Fort Myers, Fla.), Jacksonville (Fla.), Jacksonville State (Jacksonville, Ala.), Kennesaw State (Ga.), Liberty (Lynchburg, Va.), Lipscomb (Nashville, Tenn.), North Alabama (Florence, Ala.), North Florida (Jacksonville, Fla.), Queens (Charlotte, N.C.) and Stetson (DeLand, Fla.).