ATLANTA - FGCU's Erin Shomaker, Dana Axner and Chelsey Lockey along with Central Arkansas' Laci Bohannan took home the first set of ASUN Conference Volleyball weekly honors for the 2022 season, announced by the league office on Monday. Shomaker claimed her fifth Player of the Week honor while Axner was named Defensive Player of the Week for the seventh time. Lockey captured the league's first-ever Setter of the Week award with Bohannan rounding out the weekly honors with the Freshman of the Week recognition.
Volleyball Player of the Week
Erin Shomaker, FGCU
Senior | Outside Hitter | Granville, Ohio
- Fifth Career ASUN Player of the Week award; 29th in FGCU program history
- Led the Eagles to three wins at the Maryland Invite averaging 4.17 kills per set
- Recorded eight kills and seven blocks in the season-opener against Navy
- Tallied 15 kills and eight digs in a four-set triumph against Rhode Island
- Tied her career high with 27 kills against Maryland for the FGCU program's third Big Ten victory
Other Nominees: Laci Bohannon, Central Arkansas; Maddy Campbell, Eastern Kentucky; Haley Hart, Jacksonville; Lena Kindermann, Jacksonville State; Delaney Dilfer, Liberty; Caroline Stogner, Lipscomb; Anna Katherine Griggs, North Alabama; Mahalia White, North Florida; Alleigh Johnson, Queens; Elena Djokovic, Stetson.
Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week
Dana Axner, FGCU
Senior | Defensive Specialist | Dublin, Ohio
- Seventh Career ASUN Defensive Player of the Week award; 17th all-time honor for the Eagles
- Averaged 3.92 digs in three victories at the Maryland Invite for FGCU last weekend
- Recorded 14 digs in each of the Eagles' first two matchups against Navy and Rhode Island
- Added 19 digs in a 3-1 victory against the host Terrapins to earn FGCU's eighth Power Five win
- Eclipsed the 2,000-dig mark for her career on Saturday and now sits second in league history with 2,005
Other Nominees: Erin Eisenhart, Austin Peay; Anna Lococo, Bellarmine; Leigh Maher, Central Arkansas; Maddy Campbell, Eastern Kentucky; Erin Carmichael, Jacksonville State; Jasmine Brown, Kennesaw State; Erica Lowery, Liberty; Meg Mersman, Lipscomb; Ella Ratzioff, North Alabama; Rocio Moro, North Florida; Lauren Vargo, Stetson.
Volleyball Setter of the Week
Chelsey Lockey, FGCU
Senior | Setter | Eaton, Colo.
- First Career ASUN Setter of the Week honor; first-ever in ASUN history
- Helped the Eagles to wins against Navy, Rhode Island and Maryland last weekend
- Posted 123 assists, 30 digs, seven blocks and six aces in the three victories
- Opened the weekend with 28 assists against the Midshipmen then 46 against the Rams
- Notched 49 assists and 15 digs in the Eagles' defeat of the Terrapins
Other Nominees: Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas; Chloe Mason, Eastern Kentucky; Claire Ochs, Jacksonville State; Delaney Dilfer, Liberty; Sophia Hudepohl, Lipscomb; Kennedey Johnson, North Alabama; Kendall Buish, Queens; Nyah Molina, Stetson.
Volleyball Freshman of the Week
Laci Bohannan, Central Arkansas
Freshman | Outside Hitter | Benton, Ark.
- First Career ASUN Freshman of the Week honor; first all-time award for Central Arkansas
- Finished the opening weekend with 62 kills in three victories for the Bears
- Recorded a double-double in the season opener against Tennessee Tech with 17 kills and 11 digs
- Set a UCA program record for its rally-scoring era with 28 kills in the defeat of Oral Roberts
- Notched 17 kills, five digs, four blocks and three service aces in the five-set triumph against Missouri State
Other Nominees: Carson Ledford, Eastern Kentucky; Manu Johnsen, Kennesaw State; Berkley Mischler, Lipscomb; Mackenzie Piester, North Florida; Hallie Brown, Queens; Sophia Groom, Stetson.
2022 Season Award Winners
Aug. 29 | Player: Erin Shomaker, FGCU; Defensive Player: Dana Axner, FGCU; Setter: Chelsey Lockey, FGCU; Freshman: Laci Bohannan, Central Arkansas
ASUN Conference, Atlanta – the only DI conference headquartered in the ATL, our footprint's primary media, sports, business, transportation and cultural hub
The ASUN, a Division I conference member of the NCAA, boasts a membership of institutions that share visionary leadership, bold ambition and creative innovation. As a nimble adaptive conference, unafraid to blaze a national pathway for better service to our student-athletes, teams, and institutions, the ASUN has a proud history of firsts, national academic and athletic achievements and a conference culture that walks the walk with its four ASUN Beams. Students First! Rise. Connect. Impact. #ASUNBuilt by Austin Peay (Clarksville, Tenn.), Bellarmine (Louisville, Ky.), Central Arkansas (Conway, Ark.), Eastern Kentucky (Richmond, Ky.), FGCU (Fort Myers, Fla.), Jacksonville (Fla.), Jacksonville State (Jacksonville, Ala.), Kennesaw State (Ga.), Liberty (Lynchburg, Va.), Lipscomb (Nashville, Tenn.), North Alabama (Florence, Ala.), North Florida (Jacksonville, Fla.), Queens (Charlotte, N.C.) and Stetson (DeLand, Fla.).