ATLANTA - Austin Peay's Mikayla Powell, Jacksonville's Kariana Ayala-Drew, FGCU's Chelsey Lockey and Bellarmine's Gabby Brissett earned this week's ASUN Conference Volleyball honors, announced by the league office on Monday. Powell (Player), Ayala-Drew (Defensive Player) and Brissett (Freshman) all earned the first awards of their careers while Lockey secured her second Setter of the Week recognition of the season.
Volleyball Player of the Week
Mikayla Powell, Austin Peay
Senior | Right Side | Raymore, Mo.
- First Career ASUN Player of the Week award; first-ever in Austin Peay program history
- Named the MVP of the Stacheville Challenge after leading the Govs to three victories
- Opened the weekend with 23 kills, six digs and four blocks in a 3-1 win against North Dakota State
- Posted a .684 kill percentage against ETSU, the fifth-best performance in program history
- Added 12 kills on a .400 hitting percentage along with a dig and a block in the sweep of UT-Martin
Other Nominees: Jayme Scott, Bellarmine; Lauren Clark, FGCU; Haley Hart, Jacksonville; Sophie Riemersma, Jacksonville State; Trinity Watts, Liberty; Taylor Floyd, North Alabama; Mahalia White, North Florida.
Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week
Kariana Ayala-Drew, Jacksonville
Senior | Defensive Specialist | Bayamon, Puerto Rico
- First Career ASUN Defensive Player of the Week award; 14th all-time honor for Jacksonville
- Totaled 83 digs last weekend for the Dolphins at the Trojan Invitational
- Posted a 5.53 digs-per-set average as Jacksonville competed in three five-set contests
- Recorded 24 digs against both Gardner-Webb and Alabama State, then 35 in the victory against host Troy
- Had zero reception errors over the 15 sets of action and also collected four aces
Other Nominees: Erin Eisenhart, Austin Peay; Anna Lococo, Bellarmine; Leigh Maher, Central Arkansas; Dana Axner, FGCU; Erin Carmichael, Jacksonville State; Ella Ratzloff, North Alabama; Rocio Moro, North Florida.
Volleyball Setter of the Week
Chelsey Lockey, FGCU
Senior | Setter | Eaton, Colo.
- Second Career ASUN Setter of the Week honor; second of the season for FGCU
- Averaged 11.31 assists per set on the week in four matches for the Eagles
- Tallied 34 assists along with eight digs and three blocks in the sweep of FIU in Miami
- Posted 113 assists last weekend to help the Eagles to three wins in their home-opening tournament
- Currently ranks third in the ASUN and 39th nationally with 10.47 assists per set
Other Nominees: Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas; Claire Ochs, Jacksonville State; McKinley Ferguson, Kennesaw State; Jenna Zimmermann, North Florida.
Volleyball Freshman of the Week
Gabby Brissett, Bellarmine
Freshman | Right Side | Coral Springs, Fla.
- First Career ASUN Freshman of the Week honor; first all-time award for Bellarmine
- Averaged 2.75 kills per set in the three victories by the Knights last weekend
- Recorded 11 kills and two blocks against SEMO then nine kills and two more blocks against Alabama A&M
- Ended the weekend with career highs in both kills (13) and blocks (5) in the win at Southern Illinois
- Also tallied five digs on the weekend and had a .357 hitting percentage
Other Nominees: Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas; Carson Ledford, Eastern Kentucky; Hayley Martin, North Alabama; Kierstyn McFall, North Florida.
2022 Season Award Winners
Sept. 19 | Player: Mikayla Powell, Austin Peay; Defensive Player: Kariana Ayala-Drew, Jacksonville; Setter: Chelsey Lockey, FGCU; Freshman: Gabby Brissett, Bellarmine
Sept. 12 | Player: Taylor Floyd, North Alabama; Defensive Player: Erin Eisenhart, Austin Peay; Setter: Claire Ochs, Jacksonville State; Freshman: Sophia Groom, Stetson
Sept. 6 | Player: Molly Michalak, Eastern Kentucky; Defensive Player: Ella Ratzloff, North Alabama; Setter: Delaney Dilfer, Liberty; Freshman: AG Vandagriff, Eastern Kentucky
Aug. 29 | Player: Erin Shomaker, FGCU; Defensive Player: Dana Axner, FGCU; Setter: Chelsey Lockey, FGCU; Freshman: Laci Bohannan, Central Arkansas
ASUN Conference, Atlanta – the only DI conference headquartered in the ATL, our footprint's primary media, sports, business, transportation and cultural hub
The ASUN, a Division I conference member of the NCAA, boasts a membership of institutions that share visionary leadership, bold ambition and creative innovation. As a nimble adaptive conference, unafraid to blaze a national pathway for better service to our student-athletes, teams, and institutions, the ASUN has a proud history of firsts, national academic and athletic achievements and a conference culture that walks the walk with its four ASUN Beams. Students First! Rise. Connect. Impact. #ASUNBuilt by Austin Peay (Clarksville, Tenn.), Bellarmine (Louisville, Ky.), Central Arkansas (Conway, Ark.), Eastern Kentucky (Richmond, Ky.), FGCU (Fort Myers, Fla.), Jacksonville (Fla.), Jacksonville State (Jacksonville, Ala.), Kennesaw State (Ga.), Liberty (Lynchburg, Va.), Lipscomb (Nashville, Tenn.), North Alabama (Florence, Ala.), North Florida (Jacksonville, Fla.), Queens (Charlotte, N.C.) and Stetson (DeLand, Fla.).