ATLANTA - Liberty's Kate Phillips and Lipscomb's Jada DiVita along with Kennesaw State's Shelby Dennis and McKinley Ferguson earned this week's ASUN Conference Volleyball honors, announced by the league office on Monday. Phillips (Player), Dennis (Defensive), Ferguson (Setter) and DiVita (Freshman) all earned the first awards of their careers.
Volleyball Player of the Week
Kate Phillips, Liberty
Sophomore | Outside Hitter | Encinitas, Calif.
- First Career ASUN Player of the Week award; fifth honor in Liberty program history
- Averaged a conference-best 5.00 kills per set last weekend while also leading the league with a .481 hitting percentage
- Recorded 18 kills and seven digs in the conference opener against Queens on Friday
- Posted a double-double with 19 digs and 12 kills against the Royals on Sunday in Charlotte
- Added 4.33 digs per set in the two sweeps of Queens to help the Flames to a 2-0 start to league play
Other Nominees: Mackenzie Vernon, Central Arkansas; Sarah Mitchell, Eastern Kentucky; Dana Axner, FGCU; Lena Kindermann, Jacksonville State; Dani Ballou, Kennesaw State; Caroline Stogner, Lipscomb; Mahalia White, North Florida.
Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week
Shelby Dennis, Kennesaw State
Senior | Defensive Specialist | Cincinnati, Ohio
- First Career ASUN Defensive Player of the Week award; 19th all-time honor for Kennesaw State
- Helped the Owls to a 2-0 start to conference play and remain undefeated at home this season
- Averaged 5.11 digs per set in victories against North Alabama and Central Arkansas
- Totaled 46 digs over the two matches including a career-high 27 on Friday against the Lions
- Finished the victory against the Bears with a team-high 19 digs and one assist
Other Nominees: Alexis McDaniel, Central Arkansas; Josie Schmitendorf, Eastern Kentucky; Dana Axner, FGCU; Kariana Ayala-Drew, Jacksonville; Erin Carmichael, Jacksonville State; Erica Lowery, Liberty; Delaney Smith, Lipscomb; Ella Ratzloff, North Alabama; Rocio Moro, North Florida.
Volleyball Setter of the Week
McKinley Ferguson, Kennesaw State
Junior | Setter | Jasper, Ala.
- First Career ASUN Setter of the Week honor; first-ever for Kennesaw State
- Averaged 12.22 assists per set on the week as the Owls went 2-0 to open league play
- Posted 49 assists and 16 digs against North Alabama for her second straight double-double
- Set a new career high with 61 assists in a five-set victory against Central Arkansas
- Added 2.33 digs and 1.11 kills per set along with four blocks and three aces
Other Nominees: Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas; Chelsey Lockey, FGCU; Rebecca Rocassin, Jacksonville; Claire Ochs, Jacksonville State; Delaney Dilfer, Liberty; Sophia Hudepohl, Lipscomb; Jenna Zimmermann, North Florida.
Volleyball Freshman of the Week
Jada DiVita, Lipscomb
Freshman | Outside Hitter | Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.
- First Career ASUN Freshman of the Week honor; 13th all-time award for Lipscomb
- Combined for 27 kills, 10 digs, four blocks and an ace in wins against Eastern Kentucky and Bellarmine
- Posted 11 kills, four digs and a block in the conference-opening sweep of the Colonels
- Added 16 kills, six digs and three blocks in the four-set victory at the Knights
- Currently leads the team with seven double-digit kill outings this season
Other Nominees: Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas; Myah Robinson, Jacksonville; Manu Johnsen, Kennesaw State; Hayley Martin, North Alabama; Kierstyn McFall, North Florida.
2022 Season Award Winners
Sept. 26 | Player: Kate Phillips, Liberty; Defensive Player: Shelby Dennis, Kennesaw State; Setter: McKinley Ferguson, Kennesaw State; Freshman: Jada DiVita, Lipscomb
Sept. 19 | Player: Mikayla Powell, Austin Peay; Defensive Player: Kariana Ayala-Drew, Jacksonville; Setter: Chelsey Lockey, FGCU; Freshman: Gabby Brissett, Bellarmine
Sept. 12 | Player: Taylor Floyd, North Alabama; Defensive Player: Erin Eisenhart, Austin Peay; Setter: Claire Ochs, Jacksonville State; Freshman: Sophia Groom, Stetson
Sept. 6 | Player: Molly Michalak, Eastern Kentucky; Defensive Player: Ella Ratzloff, North Alabama; Setter: Delaney Dilfer, Liberty; Freshman: AG Vandagriff, Eastern Kentucky
Aug. 29 | Player: Erin Shomaker, FGCU; Defensive Player: Dana Axner, FGCU; Setter: Chelsey Lockey, FGCU; Freshman: Laci Bohannan, Central Arkansas
ASUN Conference, Atlanta – the only DI conference headquartered in the ATL, our footprint's primary media, sports, business, transportation and cultural hub
The ASUN, a Division I conference member of the NCAA, boasts a membership of institutions that share visionary leadership, bold ambition and creative innovation. As a nimble adaptive conference, unafraid to blaze a national pathway for better service to our student-athletes, teams, and institutions, the ASUN has a proud history of firsts, national academic and athletic achievements and a conference culture that walks the walk with its four ASUN Beams. Students First! Rise. Connect. Impact. #ASUNBuilt by Austin Peay (Clarksville, Tenn.), Bellarmine (Louisville, Ky.), Central Arkansas (Conway, Ark.), Eastern Kentucky (Richmond, Ky.), FGCU (Fort Myers, Fla.), Jacksonville (Fla.), Jacksonville State (Jacksonville, Ala.), Kennesaw State (Ga.), Liberty (Lynchburg, Va.), Lipscomb (Nashville, Tenn.), North Alabama (Florence, Ala.), North Florida (Jacksonville, Fla.), Queens (Charlotte, N.C.) and Stetson (DeLand, Fla.).