ATLANTA - The ASUN Conference weekly honors went to the Central Arkansas duo of Alexis McDaniel and Caylan Koons along with Kennesaw State's Dani Ballou and McKinley Ferguson, announced Monday by the league office. Ballou earned her first Player of the Week award and Ferguson took home her third Setter honor after KSU remained undefeated at home. McDaniel and Koons claimed their second consecutive Defensive Player and Freshman of the Week honors, respectively, as UCA won its sixth and seventh matches in a row.
Volleyball Player of the Week
Dani Ballou, Kennesaw State
Senior | Outside Hitter | Clearwater, Fla.
- First Career ASUN Player of the Week award; 29th in KSU program history
- Averaged 4.71 kills and 2.43 digs in two home victories for the Owls
- Recorded 18 kills and eight digs in KSU's four-set defeat of Bellarmine on Friday
- On Saturday, tallied 15 kills and nine digs in a sweep of Eastern Kentucky
- Hit a team-high .389 for the weekend while adding three total blocks
Other Nominees: Mikayla Powell, Austin Peay; Jamiryana Hall, Central Arkansas; Sarah Mitchell, Eastern Kentucky; Lily Felts, FGCU; Lena Kindermann, Jacksonville State; Kamryn Bacus, Liberty; Caroline Stogner, Lipscomb; Mahalia White, North Florida; Alleigh Johnson, Queens.
Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week
Alexis McDaniel, Central Arkansas
Freshman | Defensive Specialist | The Woodlands, Texas
- Second Career ASUN Defensive Player of the Week award; third all-time honor for Central Arkansas
- Averaged 5.90 digs per set as UCA extended its winning streak to seven matches
- Recorded 32 digs in a five-set victory against FGCU on Friday
- Followed up with 27 digs in Sunday's 3-2 defeat of Stetson
- Added eight assists against the Eagles and five against the Hatters
Other Nominees: Erin Eisenhart, Austin Peay; Dana Axner, FGCU; Erin Carmichael, Jacksonville State; Erica Lowery, Liberty; Delaney Smith, Lipscomb; Ella Ratzloff, North Alabama; Rocio Moro, North Florida; Jesse George, Queens.
Volleyball Setter of the Week
McKinley Ferguson, Kennesaw State
Junior | Setter | Jasper, Ala.
- Third Career ASUN Setter of the Week honor; third of the season for Ferguson and Kennesaw State
- Recorded an average of 12.57 assists per set in wins against Bellarmine and Eastern Kentucky last weekend
- Posted 46 assists, seven digs and three service aces in Friday's 3-1 defeat of the Knights
- Tallied 42 assists, four digs, a block and an ace in the sweep of the Colonels
- Helped the Owls remain undefeated at home with a 9-0 mark inside the Convocation Center
Other Nominees: Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas; Chelsey Lockey, FGCU; Claire Ochs, Jacksonville State; Delaney Dilfer, Liberty; Sophia Hudepohl, Lipscomb; Savannah Cook, North Florida; Kendall Buish, Queens.
Volleyball Freshman of the Week
Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas
Freshman | Setter | Springdale, Ark.
- Third Career ASUN Freshman of the Week honor; fourth Freshman award for the Bears
- Helped Central Arkansas to two victories at home with 8.20 assists per set on the weekend
- Notched 36 assists in a five-set victory against FGCU on Friday
- Followed with 46 assists as the Bears defeated Stetson in five sets on Sunday
- Added 12 digs in each match for two double-double performances
Other Nominees: Sophia Hudepohl, Lipscomb; Hayley Martin, North Alabama; Savannah Cook, North Florida.
2022 Season Award Winners
Oct. 17 | Player: Dani Ballou, Kennesaw State; Defensive Player: Alexis McDaniel, Central Arkansas; Setter: McKinley Ferguson, Kennesaw State; Freshman: Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas
Oct. 10 | Player: Erin Shomaker, FGCU; Defensive Player: Alexis McDaniel, Central Arkansas; Setter: McKinley Ferguson, Kennesaw State; Freshman: Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas
Oct. 3 | Player: Alexis Stumbough, Central Arkansas; Defensive Player: Trinity Watts, Liberty; Setter: Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas; Freshman: Caylan Koons, Central Arkansas
Sept. 26 | Player: Kate Phillips, Liberty; Defensive Player: Shelby Dennis, Kennesaw State; Setter: McKinley Ferguson, Kennesaw State; Freshman: Jada DiVita, Lipscomb
Sept. 19 | Player: Mikayla Powell, Austin Peay; Defensive Player: Kariana Ayala-Drew, Jacksonville; Setter: Chelsey Lockey, FGCU; Freshman: Gabby Brissett, Bellarmine
Sept. 12 | Player: Taylor Floyd, North Alabama; Defensive Player: Erin Eisenhart, Austin Peay; Setter: Claire Ochs, Jacksonville State; Freshman: Sophia Groom, Stetson
Sept. 6 | Player: Molly Michalak, Eastern Kentucky; Defensive Player: Ella Ratzloff, North Alabama; Setter: Delaney Dilfer, Liberty; Freshman: AG Vandagriff, Eastern Kentucky
Aug. 29 | Player: Erin Shomaker, FGCU; Defensive Player: Dana Axner, FGCU; Setter: Chelsey Lockey, FGCU; Freshman: Laci Bohannan, Central Arkansas
ASUN Conference, Atlanta – the only DI conference headquartered in the ATL, our footprint's primary media, sports, business, transportation and cultural hub
The ASUN, a Division I conference member of the NCAA, boasts a membership of institutions that share visionary leadership, bold ambition and creative innovation. As a nimble adaptive conference, unafraid to blaze a national pathway for better service to our student-athletes, teams, and institutions, the ASUN has a proud history of firsts, national academic and athletic achievements and a conference culture that walks the walk with its four ASUN Beams. Students First! Rise. Connect. Impact. #ASUNBuilt by Austin Peay (Clarksville, Tenn.), Bellarmine (Louisville, Ky.), Central Arkansas (Conway, Ark.), Eastern Kentucky (Richmond, Ky.), FGCU (Fort Myers, Fla.), Jacksonville (Fla.), Jacksonville State (Jacksonville, Ala.), Kennesaw State (Ga.), Liberty (Lynchburg, Va.), Lipscomb (Nashville, Tenn.), North Alabama (Florence, Ala.), North Florida (Jacksonville, Fla.), Queens (Charlotte, N.C.) and Stetson (DeLand, Fla.).